Jorge and I went on a 2 week vacation to Greece and Croatia in September and we’ve been back home in Houston for a couple of weeks now. We’ve had a few people ask about our trip and a few tell us to just start a blog. So here I am.
Greece has always been on my bucket list and Croatia had just been put on my radar since popular shows and movies like Star Wars and Game of Thrones have been filmed there. I first started planning by checking Tripadvisor, Pinterest, Instagram and travel blogs for ideas. Then I contacted travelers on Tripadvisor forums for advice and tips once I narrowed down where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do. Then I found out about Greece-is . It is an excellent source for all things Greece.
We decided 1 week in Greece: visiting Athens, Santorini, Ios, and Meteora. 1 week in Croatia: visiting Dubrovnik and Split. We really needed more time to explore each country but there just wasn’t any. But after two weeks of nonstop exploring, we were glad that it wasn’t longer.
- Day 1 in Athens : Ermou St., Acropolis museum, Acropolis, Plaka. Flight to Santorini in evening with Aegean Airlines. Check in to Galini Hotel in Firostefani that night.
- Day 2 in Santorini: Rent car and visit red sand beach, Vlychada beach, black sand beaches in Perissa. Visit Santo Winery. Sunset in Oia.
- Day 3 in Ios: Take morning ferry to Ios. Rent a car and drive to Manganari Beach. Explore Chora. Take the ferry back to Santorini in the afternoon. Sunset at Ammoudi Bay.
- Day 4 in Santorini: Wake up early for photographing in Oia. Explore Fira.
- Day 5: Wake up early to catch flight back to Athens. Rent car. Drive to Delphi, Arahova and stop at Kalambaka to check in to Dellas Boutique Hotel. Sunset in Meteora.
- Day 6: Morning photography in Meteora. Visit monasteries. Dinner in Kalambaka.
- Day 7: Drive back to Athens and catch flight to Dubrovnik with Croatia Airlines. Check in to Villa Sigurata in Old Town.
- Day 8 in Dubrovnik: Explore Old Town. Walk the city walls. Take a ferry to Lokrum Island. Dinner in Old Town.
- Day 9 in Dubrovnik: Take bus to Lapad. Explore boardwalk. Hang out in Copacabana Beach. Sunset at Buza Bar. Dinner in Old Town.
- Day 10: Take bus to Split. Check in at La Porta Luxury Rooms. Explore Old Town. Visit Diocletian’s Palace.
- Day 11 in Split: Rent car and drive to Krka National Park. Visit Klis Fortress. Dinner in Split.
- Day 12 in Split: Explore Marjan Hill in the morning. Boat tour in the afternoon to Blue Lagoon and visit Trogir. Dinner in Split.
- Day 13: Take bus back to Dubrovnik and check in at Grand Villa Argentina. Dinner in Old Town.
- Day 14: Morning in Old Town. Relax for a few hours at the hotel. Catch afternoon flight to Athens. Check in to Hotel Plaka in the evening. Picked up a gyro around Syntagma Square and explored around Monastiraki Square.
- Day 15: GO HOME!
The above was just a rough draft of our itinerary. Read my other posts for more info on our experiences.