Where to Stay:
Hotel Galini in Firostefani. With caldera views, helpful staff, delicious complimentary breakfast, and a short walk to Fira, this small boutique hotel is perfect for a couple on a budget wanting a taste of what the luxury hotels provide without emptying their bank.
Where to Eat:
Galini Cafe. If you happen to stay at Hotel Galini, you’re in luck! You’re gonna get a great FREE breakfast with views to match! And if you are not staying here, you can still come eat here as they also have a great a la carte menu to order from! This place is great for lunch too!
Idol Restaurant is an excellent choice for dinner. Call ahead for reservations during sunset and you’ll get an amazing view. The service is friendly and and you may even get a few delicious surprises on the house! Tip: Try the Chocolate Sphere!
Solo Gelato in Fira’s main square, is great stop for delicious homemade gelato (the best pistachio gelato), coffee and desserts.
Where to go for a Drink:
If you’re looking to try one of the wineries on the island, try Santo Wines. It has beautiful views, delicious wine flights to sample the wines paired with a few Greek snacks or desserts.
What to Do:
- Rent a car or atv and drive around the island. If you don’t have the budget for it, the public bus goes to most of the popular tourist spots on the island.
- Visit the beaches. The Red beach, Vlychada beach, the black sand beaches at Perissa or Kamari.
- Watch the sunset.
- Wake up early and see the sunrise.
- Visit Oia early in the morning before the crowds.
- Go on a boat excursion (we didn’t, but we wish we could have).
- Visit another island like Ios for a day trip.